12 October - 18 October
Technical testsOnline collaboration software tests (participants, instructors welcome) - tests are identical.
12 October 09.00-09.45 UTC Centra recording (exe) Elluminate recording
14 October 09.00-09.45 UTC Centra recording (exe) Elluminate recording
16 October 09.00-09.45 UTC Centra recording (exe) Elluminate recording
26 October - 1 November
- Tue 27 Oct 09-10 UTC: All: Welcome session, course and assignment intro (Centra "Public Events" , password welcome)
Tue 27 Oct 13-14 UTC: Alessandro: (optional) How To Use the Course Web Site - (Elluminate) basics
- Thu 29 Oct 09-10 UTC: Erik Hagemark: Online Lesson/Discussion: Expert decision making and heuristics in weather forecasting.
Thu 29 Oct 14-15 UTC: Magnus Ovhed: Online Lesson/Discussion: Man-machine interaction and model monitoring.
9 November - 15 NovemberCourse Week 3
Wed 11 Nov 09-10 UTC: David Schultz: Online Lesson/Discussion: How to read a scientific paper; Meteorological diagnosis; How to use NWP models
Wed 11 Nov 14-15 UTC: David Schultz: Online Lesson/Discussion: Resolution
READINGS ASSIGNMENTS THE FOR CLASSROOM PHASE
16 November - 22 November
The goal of the presentations this week is to introduce the concept of Ensemble Prediction Systems.
First of all we have to think a little bit about the concept of Chaos in Non-lineal systems and in the Atmosphere in particular.
Then EPS as a tool to increase the predictability of the Atmosphere.
Finally I'd like to introduce students in the main verification methods used in the validation of probabilistic forecasts.
- Tue 17 Nov 08-09 UTC: Jose A. Garcia-Moya: Chaos and Predictability of the Atmosphere.
Tue 17 Nov 12-13 UTC: Jose A. Garcia-Moya: Introduction to Ensemble Prediction Systems.
- Thu 19 Nov 08-09 UTC: Jose A. Garcia-Moya: Verification of probabilistic forecasts (I).
Thu 19 Nov 12-13 UTC: Jose A. Garcia-Moya: Verification of probabilistic forecasts (II).
23 November - 29 November
Part 2 of slides of Laura's Tuesday introductory presentation, available below, contain a small assignment for you, please read before the lesson! . Also available as pdf are the slides of Part 1 for downloading, as the presentation in ppt is quite a big file. There is a small radar animation (flash), too. Please find also a link to some reference materials about surface-atmosphere interactions.
- Tue 24 Nov 09-10 UTC: Laura Rontu: Introduction to air-surface interactions. Assignments to participants.
Tue 24 Nov 14-15 UTC: Vesa Nietosvaara: Model Monitoring
Vesa's lecture will be run by Elluminate http://tinyurl.com/eumetclass
- Thu 26 Nov 09-10 UTC: Jarno Schipper/Vesa Nietosvaara: Online Collaboration: SATREP Online
Thu 26 Nov 14-15 UTC: Laura Rontu and participants: Online discussion: How do you (forecasters) handle the air-surface interactions, i.e. the local effects? Presentation of participants slides (max. 1 slide per participant!) prepared as agreed on Tuesday (see above).
30 November - 6 December
- All other emergencies:
Dial +358-504-616-662 (Vesa)
- Dial +358-503-528-226 (Alessandro)
Presentations and resources for Classroom Week:
- Rontu: Wednesday 2 December presentations
- Other resources
PHOTOS PHOTOS PHOTOS
7 December - 13 December