Announcing the Eumetcal Satellite Meteorology Course
Training Course on the Principles of Satellite Meteorology
The course is jointly organised by Deutscher Wetterdienst (DWD) and EUMETSAT
Classroom sessions in DWD Training and Conference Centre (BTZ), Langen, Germany
Minimum amount of students required: 12
Maximum amount of students allowed: 20
Applications from participating and new EU countries encouraged.
Dates and duration
Course start date: 20th April 2009
Distance phase 1: 21th April 2009 + 1 week, 10 hours work by student
Distance phase 2: 6th May 2009 + 1 week, 10 hours
Classroom phase: 15th - 19th June 2009 (5 days, 35 hours)
Wrap-up phase: 9th July + 1 week, 5 hours
Course end date: 15th July 2009
5 days presential + 3 weeks distance learning. The distance phase is equivalent of 25 hours of work.
DWD participants are exempted of the fee. A limited number of subsidies can be granted by EUMETSAT.
• Increase awareness on the potential of modern weather satellites in the forecasting process
• Improve the ability of the forecaster to identify potentially hazardous weather from weather satellite products
• Improve the ability of the forecaster to diagnose weather phenomena using weather satellite products
• Allow the forecaster to understand the reliability and uncertainties of the weather satellite products
Operational weather forecasters
• Previous knowledge in satellite meteorology
• Strong motivation for personal development
• Interest in weather satellite applications
• Good command in the English language
The course will be taught in English. No translation will be offered and the participant is expected to be fluent in English.